Sunday, October 19, 2008

CCSF Blog Tour Day One: Beyond The Reflections Edge - An Interview with Bryan Davis.



Many thanks to Bryan Davis for letting me conduct an e-mail interview with him over the weekend.

-Shane

The Interview:

----

Shane Deal: What inspired you to write Beyond the Reflection's Edge?


Bryan Davis: My second-born son gave me the idea. He envisioned a mirror that reflected a trunk, but in the mirror the trunk was open while in reality it was closed. We brainstormed the idea until we came up with the roots of the story.


Shane Deal: What was the inspiration for the main characters?


Bryan Davis: I wanted two diverse characters, one male and one female. I like representing both genders with strong characters in order to grab the interest of all readers, and I wanted to develop a pair who came from very different upbringings. Nathan comes from a very strict home. He is spiritually aware, though, in a way, somewhat na├»ve with regard to those with looser standards. Kelly is a girl who represents the “other side of the tracks” family, at least in Nathan’s eyes. Nathan becomes aware of Kelly’s past indiscretions and has to learn to deal with them, because they are thrown together as a team and have to work in harmony.


Shane Deal: Kind of a related question. Their names?


Bryan Davis: I chose Nathan because he was King David’s prophet, a rather bold fellow who didn’t mind telling like it is. My Nathan has some of that gumption, but he doesn’t always know how to use it. So his mouth becomes acquainted with his foot at times, if you know what I mean. I chose Kelly, because I wanted a gender-neutral name. Kelly’s father, an avid athlete, always wanted a boy, so the name is a constant reminder to Kelly that she wasn’t exactly what her daddy had in mind. That pain causes her to pursue athletics and shapes her character, for better and for worse.


Shane Deal: What are your hopes for this book, in what ways do you wish for it to impact your readers or yourself?


Bryan Davis: I hope my readers will remember to look deeper than what they see on the surface, to allow people to change, to show compassion toward those who are different without compromising their values. As readers progress in the series, I hope they will be impacted by the power of real forgiveness and the joy of true reconciliation.

For myself, I portrayed the hero, Nathan, as a strictly raised homeschooler, someone with a spiritual background much like my own children’s. As I watched him navigate a culture with which he is unfamiliar, it helped me examine what I teach my children. Are they ready to face the strange world out there? Can they cope with people who are so different and do so with resolve to stay pure while displaying compassion? How will they use what they have been taught when their teachers are absent?

These questions have led me to use Nathan’s adventure to query both my children and myself as I slowly open up their horizons to the world outside our home.


Shane Deal: Why did you choose music and light to open the dimensional portals?


Bryan Davis: Music allowed me to show symbols of harmony, both in the makeup of the universe and among people. Dissonance, or the lack of harmonious flow, was the constant enemy in the story, causing multi-dimensional cosmic meltdowns. Whenever Nathan and Kelly learned to work together, they were successful in bringing harmony to the created order. Although this aspect isn’t obvious in the story, I hope the parallels are clear to the astute reader.

Light has long been the symbol of truth and knowledge. Since light opens our eyes to truth in many situations, it made sense for light to be the final factor in opening portals to other worlds. When combined with the idea of musical harmony, I was trying to symbolize the balance between harmony and truth. Without truth, agreement among people is sometimes based on falsehood and will eventually crumble. Without harmony, truth can be harsh and lack compassion. I wanted both components present to symbolize how the two must be in balance.




----

Thanks again Bryan! You can learn more about Bryan Davis and Beyond the Reflection's Edge at the following websites, or you can purchase the book from Amazon.com or from Bryan Davis's website. Check it out!

Beyond the Reflection's Edge on Amazon.com

Bryan Davis's Website

Bryan Davis’s Blog

4 comments:

Bryan Davis said...

Shane,

Thank you for featuring my book and posting the interview. Your support is a great blessing.

Bryan Davis

baddogmooney said...

Great interview Shane! Thanks.

Valerie Comer said...

Thanks for sharing the interview, Shane!

S. J. Deal said...

Bryan: You're welcome! I'm happy to do it! Thank you for commenting, and once again, thanks for the interview!

Mooney: You're welcome, and thanks for the comment!

Valerie: You're welcome! Thanks for commenting.