Tuesday, January 20, 2009

CSFF Blog Tour: D. Barkley Briggs: The Book of Names - Day II

I was not planning to do anything beyond the first day of the tour but I thought this afternoon that I would list the things I do like about the book.

One of the more interesting aspects of the story line is the use of runes. I won't say what they are for, but a quick wikipedia search did bring up some interesting stories about some of the places mentioned in the book.

There is one character with a clever sword that I found rather amusing.

Despite already having encountered a similar concept in Christopher Paolini's Eragon books, I love the idea of the word being the thing. I imagine this will come into play a lot more later in the book and be revealed to be more important then it appears at first glance. Lovely idea, if fully realized, we could be in for quite an adventure.

In my review I did fail to mention one character who is not a villain and yet is complex and interesting. A young lady named Asandra, a very interesting character with quite a bit of potential.

I liked the preview chapters for the next book, nice setup for the rest of the book. :-)

-Shane

Links of importance:

The Book of Names on Amazon
D. Barkley Briggs’s Web site
D. Barkley Briggs’s blog

1 comment:

Brandon Barr said...

I read both your posts, thanks for sharing the good and the bad :)