Saturday, July 4, 2009

The Hunt For Gollum

The Hunt For Gollum - A Fan Made Lord of the Ring's Film, that while it ignores some of the book values and story is still surprisingly good.


Dr. Amy H. Sturgis recently posted on her blog a link to a fan made Lord of the Ring's film about Aragorn's search for Gollum. The film had a budget of around what equals to about $5,000 and is surprisingly well produced. It is about 40 minutes long and can be viewed online. (The graphic above links to the website.)

While there are a few things about the story that are not quite true to Tolkien, like I'm not entirely certain Aragorn would have asked a statue for advice, it is generally similar to the tale Gandalf tells Frodo in the early part of The Fellowship of the Ring book. I'm impressed with the job that the actors did playing the roles. The Gandalf actor fits surprisingly well, though he says one thing that seems in direct confrontation with one of the biggest insights of the Lord of the Rings concerning Gollum. Aragorn's actor did a pretty good job with the role, I still like Viggo Mortensen's portrayal of Aragorn best, but this fellow was pretty good in the role. A few places were you can tell it was CGI but concerning the budget of the film, it's not too horribly disappointing.

I like independent films. Ancanar is a film I've been following the progress of, but unfortunatly the website has been "under development" for the past year or two. Still the trailer can be viewed here. It had/has promise, but never seems to have gone anywhere. Pity. Still, perhaps it'll be revived sometime.

It has been a dream of mine for some years to be involved in or make a film of my own. What I really would like to see is part of my story as a film. Or a story of mine at least. Definitely something I'm interested in. No matter what I do, it's a lot of work. But perhaps I can see it happen in time. I have so much to learn about it, it can be rather daunting.

No comments: